NOSH, Secret Ingredient
Crispy rice cakes
370g rice, cooked
75g spring onion, chopped
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons egg, beaten
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the egg, sesame oil, spring onion and rice in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Mix until no longer sticky.
- Mould into ¼ inch thick round patties.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan on medium heat for 30 seconds. Cook the patties for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the pan and serve.
- This is a great recipe for using up leftover rice. Make sure the cakes are piping hot in the middle before serving.
- If the rice mixture is sticky, add a little extra flour.
- Add a handful of cheese and a teaspoon of red pepper flakes or paprika to the rice mixture for a tasty twist on this recipe.
- Brown rice is a nutritious choice. It has more protein, fibre, calcium, magnesium, vitamin E and potassium than white rice. These nutrients are essential in maintaining a healthy body.