Sesame chicken and spicy salsa burger
150g minced chicken
2 burger buns
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ spring onion, chopped
¼ iceberg lettuce, chopped
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 portion Spicy salsa
- Put the chicken, sesame oil, garlic, spring onion and cornstarch in the large bowl. Mix together. Divide the mixture in half and shape into two equal patties.
- Heat the oil in the wok. Add the patties. Cook for 5 minutes on each side. When cooked through, add a splash of soy sauce to the hot pan and let it bubble and reduce. Remove the glazed patties from the wok.
- Clean the wok with some paper towel. Add the burger buns, cut side down. Heat for 30 seconds. Remove from the wok.
- Add some salsa to the bottom piece of each bun. Top with the cooked chicken patties, followed by the remaining salsa and finally the lettuce. Cover with the top piece of the bun. Serve.
- To give the chicken patties an extra kick, add some freshly chopped ginger in step 1.
- Prepare a larger batch of tomato salsa and keep it in the fridge for up to a week. Preparing the chicken burger can then be done in just 15 minutes!
- Whole-wheat burger buns are healthier, since they have more fibre than regular options.
- Tomatoes are low in calories, packed with vitamins, minerals and an excellent source of disease-fighting antioxidants, such as vitamin C, A and K, as well as potassium.