Ho Lee Fook
Shiitake and spinach soba
250g (1 pack) buckwheat soba
250g spinach, blanched, drained and diced
150g fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 nori sheet, cut into thin strips
250ml vegetable stock
25ml Shao Hsing wine
3½ tablespoons soy sauce
¼ teaspoon sesame oil
Pinch of salt
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of white pepper
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and the buckwheat soba. Cook according to the instructions on the packet. Drain the soba with cold water and toss with the sesame oil.
- Put the soy sauce, Shao Hsing wine, vegetable stock and shiitake mushrooms in the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer until the liquid has reduced by a third. Add a pinch of white pepper and sugar.
- Mix the soba with spinach. Top with the strips of nori.
- Serve with the shiitake dipping sauce on the side.
- To prepare the spinach, blanch in hot water for 30 seconds, then immediately cool in an ice bath. Once cool, squeeze out the excess water and chop finely.
- Dried wakame can be used instead of nori sheet. Soak in water to rehydrate, then chop finely.
- Shiitake mushrooms can be easily incorporated into many Asian dishes. Add them to a noodle soup or simply stir-fry with vegetables.
- Shiitakes mushrooms are excellent sources of protein, potassium, niacin, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamins B, which can boost the immune system, lower cholesterol and regulate blood pressure.
- Spinach is a super food! It is rich in vitamin K, which is vital for maintaining good bone health.
- Nori sheets are rich in antioxidants such as vitamin C helping to lower cancer risk and also a great source of dietary fibre making it an effective laxative and a good cure for constipation.