450g (1 can) kidney beans, drained
450g minced beef
80g cheese, grated
1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tomato, deseeded and chopped
180ml sour cream
1 tablespoon oil
¾ teaspoon chilli powder
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the frying pan. Add the beef and onion. Cook for 5 minutes until the meat is brown. Drain any excess liquid from the pan.
- Add the beans, green chilli and garlic powder. Cook for 4 minutes until heated through.
- Mix the sour cream, ground cumin and chilli powder in a small bowl.
- Place the beef into a serving dish. Top with the sour cream and chopped tomato. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve.
- This versatile taco recipe can be served with taco shells, tortilla chips, flour tortillas or rice. When serving with tacos or tortillas, add shredded lettuce and salsa.
- Refried or black beans can be used in place of the kidney beans.
- Stretch this recipe by adding a can of sweet corn and some chopped black olives.
- For a spicier dish, add some jalapenos or cayenne pepper in step 2.
- A simple rinsing process can reduce the fat content of cooked minced beef.
- Canned vegetables and legumes often contain high amounts of sodium. Buying those with no added salt helps reduce sodium intake.
- Regular sour cream can be very high in fat and calories. Switch to a fat-free version to cut calories and fat intake.